Saturday, April 26, 2008

Righteousness From God

One night, after some heavy praying, I lay down, determined to get a couple hours of sleep. Once in a deep slumber I felt as if someone was nudging me awake. Slowly I opened my eyes to find myself in an odd room with big square candles in the ceiling tiles. I was sitting at a table with a man who calls himself Christian Smith. It seemed as if I was a wraith-like figure and Mr. Smith could not see me. He started talking about a subject that interested me highly; it was on a study he was doing on the teenage population in America. He began by saying that many of them were inflicted with a lifestyle ruled by Moralistic Therapeutic Deism. The main doctrinal values of MTD are to lead a happy life, and to call on God when he is needed. God puts the world into motion, and then backs off to let us do what we want with our lives. I believe this is total perversion and misapplication of the meaning to be a Christian. You do not focus on yourself, how you feel about your actions, and how your actions are perceived by others. And so a man who has not the love of God in his heart may do moral actions. but if you depend on morality, if you make a Christ of it, and go about it to establish a righteousness of your own, and think your morality will recommend you to God, my dear friends, you are building upon a rotten foundation, you will find yourselves mistaken, and that the kingdom of God is not in your hearts. (CH) If one does all that he does for his own satisfaction and for the adoration of others, then it is all in vain because we have no righteousness of our own (CH), we get it wholly from God who gives of it to those who put their trust and faith in him. Mr. Smith had some fascinating things to say on the subject of American teenagers; if all of these values were held by the majority of American teenagers, I am not sure of how well off our future generations will be.

10 comments:

Bryan Waffa said...

Haha, I liiike. I'm not so sure Whitfield would have ever used the word straight-up, but what do I know? I'm sure you'll point out many mistakes I made on my profile.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer said...

That sounds like an extremely interesting experience!
I agree with your analysis completely. Just trying to be "good" isn't enough. You really are just trying to make yourself happy.
It's about God and how you respond to His love. We are called to reject sin, because we know how bad it is, not because we want to please God
I agree with you again: we are only able to know what sin is through God. Our righteousness, as you put it, comes "wholly from God."
Why do teenagers follow this MTD at all? I think they see it as the easy way out. There isn’t much accountability. If you fall short, who notices? Who even cares?
We all must make sure we don’t fall into this trap of believing that we can earn our salvation.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said...

Sorry about the extra comment. Something wierd happened.

Anonymous said...

this is really good, Alden. I didnt know that story about the stoning. I didnt think the MTD post was very creative, but thats just my opinion. cant wait for tomorrow!

P.T. Denton, Jr. said...

Dear George,

I've read your blog. Methinks I can hear the voice of Whitefield speaking again after all these years. Bravo! Or, as Mr. W would more likely say, God be praised!

I do think Mr. W would capitalize all his "I's." And I think it would help your dear modern reader immensely if you would date your posts and give the place from which you write.

Was your name pronounced in a way that rhymes with "white" or "whit"?

But on a more serious note, I have two questions:

Someone (John Foster) claimed that you, Mr. Whitefield, were among the twenty most influential people in the history of the world--that you would be on the list of those whose lives have produced the greatest results. To what, do you think, was he referring? What evidence do we have of that in America?

My second question relates to your relationship with Mr. Wesley. I hear you had a falling out. What happened? Generally, Mr. Wesley is portrayed as the victim and you as the perpetrator. Is that fair? Why or why not?

Dr. Denton

Jonathan Edwards said...

I didn't know about the stoning either. I wonder why, exactly, those people did what they did. What do you think about experiencing God, not just speaking of him? How can we tell what is a legitimate heavenly experience?

tsrel10AmazinglySavedbyGrace said...

I find it very intriguing how you love to be a part of founding churches.

I was also wondering why you were stoned? Why would they do that? What actions did you do that maybe triggered the stoning?
I would like to know more about how you influenced people.

I agree with your statement: 'You do not focus on yourself, how you feel about your actions, and how your actions are perceived by others.," but i would say that you can focus on yourself if you entire being is focused on God. The way your actions should be perceived is Christ imitating actions.

I would also like to know the path of your spiritual growth in your life; from when you were a child to your death.

cdent23 said...

Good work Alden. I can tell you thought really hard about this. I know it is hard to incorporate MTD into your blog but you hit the nail on the head. Niiiiceeee. Haha

thetyndale said...

great blog. wonderful presentation.